Day in history for August 30, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Murray McConnell of Illinois, the newly appointed auditor of the treasury, reached Washington, was sworn in and assumed his position.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Democrats of Milan organized a Hancock and English club with a membership of over 600 members.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. J.W. Scott, his wife and their daughter Jean, of Springfield, were guests at the home of Orrin Leonard. Dr. Scott was secretary to the state board of health.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The Chicago Cubs were in first place in the race for the National League pennant, closely followed by the New York Giants. The Philadelphia Athletics paced the American League.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Facilities for an Air Force reserve squadron, involving construction expenditures estimated at $3,000,000 to $5,000,000, are proposed for the Quad-City area. No decision has been made whether the base would be located at Quad-City Airport, south of Moline, or the Davenport Municipal Airport at Mt. Joy.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Junk cars will soon be a thing of the past in Silvis as city and county officials begin marking and towing the vehicles by authorization of a new abandoned auto ordinance.
Back: Available days in August 2005