Day in history for August 29, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The Argus, in a front-page editorial, paid tribute to the Chicago Times, which had just completed one full year of subscription.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- George Schneider, Jr. and Miss Julia Moughen, Rock Island, were married at the home of the bridegroom's parents. The Rev. August Hansgen officiated.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Miss Gail Postlewait returned from a 3 week trip to Chicago and the Great Lakes.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Film notables, along with hundreds of laymen, attended the funeral of actor Lon Chaney, who was buried beside his father in Forest Lawn Cemetery, Glendale, Calif.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A combination of low water in Rock River and a mud bar blocking the spillway of Mill Creek near Milan has resulted in the lowest stage of water at Lock 31 of the Hennepin Canal ever recorded.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- In a world where traditions often fall victim to newfangled ideas, one long-standing principle at Augustana College remains intact, there will be no coed dormitories on campus this year. Only about 50 students signed up to live in Carlsson Hall. Carlsson Hall was set to house about 60 women in its east wing and the same number of men in the west wing.
Back: Available days in August 2005