Day in history for August 22, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- N.H. Parker, former editor of the Davenport Commercial, was being praised by critics for his work on the book ''Hawkeye State.''
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Old settlers of this county were invited to attend the 6th annual meeting of the old settlers of Henry County at Hanna's Grove.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island city council passed a midnight closing ordinance, submitted by Alderman O'Connor.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The New York Giants established themselves as a pennant contender by defeating the Chicago Cubs, 13-6, to pull within two games of the league-leading Chicagoans.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Charles Betcher and William Kasnick won a bet Saturday by wearing short pants in the Geneseo business district. The loser who paid was Henry Wirz. In order to collect, Betcher and Kasnick donned ''sawed off'' trousers and walked the length of the business district and back during the busy shopping hours.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- The Quad-City Area Friendship Day Parade, scheduled for 2 p.m. Sunday in downtown Moline, is expected to draw thousands of onlookers to what organizers hope will become an annual event. The parade is sponsored by the Moline Downtown Association.
Back: Available days in August 2005