Day in history for August 20, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Matthew Felix was appointed postmaster at Illinois City to replace D.G. Moore, who had retired.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- On 48 hours notice, the Democrats of Rock Island pulled off a large mass meeting at Market Square. There was a torchlight parade, after which glowing tributes were paid to General Hancock, presidential nominee, and to Judge Trumbull, nominee for governor.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The funeral of Henry B. Sudlow was held at the family home in Rock Island. The Rev. W.S. Marquis officiated at the ceremony.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The Chicago Cubs and New York Giants were preparing for one of the most crucial series of the season. At the time the Cubs were leading the National League by three games, with the Giants in second place.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Moline and Maine Township High School summer bands were co-winners in the Class AA state band competition at the Illinois State Fair.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- After years of assistance to area fire protection districts on a ''temporary'' basis, Silvis officials have decided to set up formal contracts to provide radio dispatching service for fire calls to Carbon Cliff, Colona and Hampton.
Back: Available days in August 2005