Day in history for August 17, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The official temperature reading in Rock Island was 65. The temperature was expected to drop from 8 to 10 degrees during the next 24 hours.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Friends of Peter Sherer surprised him with a party on his 45th birthday. Henry Schillinger's band played and a supper was served.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The state convention of Spanish-American war veterans assembled in Rock Island.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Dale Jackson and Forest O'Brien were back on earth after completing the longest sustained air flight in history. The plane touched ground at St. Louis after having spent slightly more than 638 hours in the air.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A couple of 10-year-old World War II souvenirs aroused the suspicions of a Moline resident and police were called to inspect a hand grenade and a 37 millimeter shell. Both pieces of ammunition were found to be ''live.''
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- In recognition of the contributions made by Lester Roos to local history, members of the Geneseo Historical Association have planned a ''Lester Roos Day'' at the Geneseo Historical Museum. A collection of old motors and pumps, many of which were donated by Roos, will be on display.
Back: Available days in August 2005