Day in history for July 9, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The citizens of Dubuque celebrated the completion of the Illinois Central Railroad and the lighting of the city with gas by a barbecue and other festivities.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Davenport Gazette said of Rock Island: ''The streets of that city, during the past two years, have been placed in the best condition for travel ever known.''
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- A Supreme Tribunal of the Fraternal Tribunes was in session in Rock Island.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Quad-City boxing fans got their first glimpse of Primo Carnera, the 285 pound giant from Italy, who fought two exhibition matches at the Palmer School outdoor arena. Also on the fight card that night was Kid Leonard of East Moline.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- The tail of a tornado quite possibly fanned Fair Acres Addition, south of Silvis, early this morning as a brief thunder and lightning storm broke a nine-day heat wave which drove the temperature up to the year's high of 96 degrees yesterday.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- There's good news for motorists who use Wolf Road northwest of Geneseo. The bridge over Elk Creek near Illinois 82 is going to be replaced.
Back: Available days in July 2005