Day in history for July 4, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Joseph Johnson and B.J. Cobb left Rock Island for Chicago where they were to serve on the jury of the U.S. Court. R. Wilkenson, also selected to serve on the jury, was forced to remain in Rock Island because of ill health.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- George Holland's company played to a full house at the Harper Theater for a matinee and evening performance.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- There was no public celebration of the Fourth of July but the day was a noisy one and good order was maintained.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Darkened skies and showers caused curtailment of many plans for Fourth of July festivities by Quad-City residents. The day was fairly quiet with only a few minor fireworks casualties.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- About 14,000 persons attended the annual fireworks display in Rock Island Public Schools Stadium Saturday night, launching July 4 activities throughout the Quad-Cities.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A clerk at the Haag Drug Store, 1628 15th St. Place, Moline, told police a man came into the store about 3:20 p.m., asked for change for the telephone, left the store, then returned and grabbed money out of the cash register.
Back: Available days in July 2005