Day in history for July 31, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- We notice that the hands are busy on the new jail building now being erected on the southwest corner of court square in Rock Island.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Justice Hawes, during the month of July, collected and paid into the Rock Island treasury the sum of $108.80.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Albert Burton and three sons, Ingwer, Eyster and Albert, and daughter, Myrtie, left this morning for a vist of several weeks in Chicago.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Phoebe Fairgrave Omlie, southern distributor for the Mono Aircraft Corporation of Moline, and noted pilot Blanche Noyes and several other women entered in the air derby to be held in connection with the National Air Races at Chicago in August will dine with President and Mrs. Herbert Hoover in the White House at Washington tonight.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Oven-like temperatures continued to bear down on the Quad-Cities and added six more victims to their toll during the past 24 hours. Yesterday's toll was three.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A helium balloon lost at Niabi Zoo in Coal Valley last week was found Friday in Veedersburg, Ind. Alfred Ingalfbe found the balloon, just 10 inches in diameter, hanging on a fence at his farm.
Back: Available days in July 2005