Day in history for July 30, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Workmen are putting up the roof to the M.E. Church. The intention is to have enough done to be able to hold the session of the general conference in the new building.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- A case of whiskey fell off the gangway of the Belle of LaCrosse, but a successful rescue was staged.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- James Taylor, Taylor Ridge, celebrated his 87th birthday by walking up the stairs of The Argus building and visiting with reporters.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island's second straight victory over Dubuque brought the Islanders to within half game of second place as Davenport lost to Burlington to allow a full game increase for Rock Island in the Mississippi Valley League standings.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Eleven student nurses from the Mercy Hospital, Davenport, left for Dubuque to relieve nurses who had worked all night caring for elderly and ill nuns who were rescued from a fire at the Mount Carmel Infirmary.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A limited edition, 1,000 copies, of the Quad-Cities USA theme song has been produced and is being sold through the mail for $1.50 each by the Quad-City Development Group, which has directed the campaign promoting the Quad-Cities.
Back: Available days in July 2005