Day in history for July 24, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- An Irishman was assaulted and robbed of his watch and two dollars, all he possessed, while on his way from Moline to Hampton.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- On the levee are 8 blacksmith forges for the use of cavalry at Fort Abraham Lincoln and waiting shipment by the Keokuk Northern Line. These forges were constructed at the Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The ladies of the Bethany Home Sewing Circle will meet tomorrow afternoon with Mrs. Lewis Cool, 1025 15th St., Rock Island.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Huge clouds of smoke emerging from an electric motor which burned out in the basement of the Dispatch plant in Moline led bystanders to believe a fire was raging in the basement.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Two Kewanee men, Seward Morey and Kennard G. Pettitt, are hospitalized as the result of injuries received in a spectacular airplane crash about a half-mile south of the old Kewanee Airport on Routes 78 and 34.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Rebecca L. Cady, Coal Valley, has received $10,000 from John Deere Harvester Works for suggesting that daily manual updating of parts requirements in several manufacturing operations be replaced by a computer-assisted data card system.
Back: Available days in July 2005