Day in history for July 19, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island County Agricultural Society said its annual show and fair would be Sept. 26, 27 and 28 at the fairgrounds.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Blue Ribbon Literary Society of Rock Island held its first meeting at the Ninth Street Methodist Church.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. J. McCrory entertained the head officers of the Modern Woodmen at their home. The occasion was a song recital.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island County's courthouse is being fitted out in a new bonnet, the first since the building was erected more than 40 years ago. Workmen of the R.C. Harrington Roofing Co. of Moline began the task of removing the original copper sheeting roof.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Hugo R. Birkhahn, Rock Island, a teacher at the County Farm Home School for Boys, Coal Valley, has caught and mounted about 8,000 butterflies representing from 75 to 90 species found in this area. He uses his hobby to enrich his science classes at the school.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island County Fair gets rolling next week, and Bernice Bridge, and Marie Pearson, both of Taylor Ridge, have been busy with their paint brushes this week at the little red barn.
Back: Available days in July 2005