Day in history for July 17, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- By reference to an advertisement in our paper today, it will be seen that Capt. May offers for sale a number of town lots in the flourishing village of Port Byron.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- County Clerk Donaldson issued a marriage license to Swan Youngren and Miss Ida Hedberg, both of Rock Island.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The ferry Davenport was tied up at the Rock Island levee today, while her boilers were cleaned and minor repairs made in the engine room.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Wilbur DePauw of Geneseo won the rifle marksmanship tournament yesterday afternoon at Camp Mansur, the outing place of the Moline Council of Boy Scouts, near Silvis.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Loraine Wright and Theodora Wannack, both of Rock Island, took off this morning from their home port, the Ship's Wheel on Campbell's Island, on a two-week cruise up the Mississippi River to Minneapolis in their outboard motorboat, ``The Ta-Ta.''
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A $10,000 closed-circuit camera has been stolen from International Harvester's Farmall Plant. Melvin Way, Farmall security guard, told police the camera was placed 40 feet above the ground, but could have been reached from a nearby rooftop.
Back: Available days in July 2005