Day in history for July 10, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- We are requested by Mr. Spencer to say that on account of the unsafe condition of the bridge across Rock River he has discontinued running his hack line for the present.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The noted author and singer, Philip Phillips, will give a sacred concert at the First Methodist Church, Moline, this evening.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- George H. Johnston, St. Louis, who erected the Illinois Theater, has been awarded the general contract for the new Moline playhouse, the consideration being $38,000.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Probably the first newspaper subscription in western Illinois received directly from the air was dropped by Paul M. Hewitt of New York City to the Keithsburg News as his plane swooped low above the village.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- The monkeys on Monkey Island, Fejervary Park, Davenport are escaping their home. Nineteen of the frisky animals swam the moat and jumped out over the weekend, but all returned when feeding time was near.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Firefighters were called at 4:45 a.m. to Hedman Anderson and Co. at 209 W. Exchange St., Geneseo, but were unable to save the structure.
Back: Available days in July 2005