Day in history for June 9, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- A Rock Island grocery and produce store advertised that, following the purchase of a new wagon, the store would not only make deliveries to homes and hotels, but also to small steamboats.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Barnum's ''Greatest Show on Earth'' was playing in Rock Island. Barnum's show was rated as the greatest entertainment medium of the time.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The rainfall measured 5.10 inches, the heaviest ever recorded in Rock Island in any 24 hours in June.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- A scientist announced that he had discovered the cause of the common cold and had developed a cure and a preventative.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- This weekend the city of Silvis will celebrate its 50th date of founding during Golden Jubilee festivities. For the occasion, a brief history has been prepared by M.W. Pennell, organizer of the first fire department and for many years fire chief, police chief and street commissioner.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- The Fort Armstrong Theater, Rock Island, has been entered in the National Register of Historical Places. The theater currently houses Circa 21 Dinner Playhouse.
Back: Available days in June 2005