Day in history for June 8, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The National Grand Lodge of the American Association met in convention in Rock Island and was attended by delegates from many states.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Officers were elected by the Rock Island High School Alumni Association: Paul Hamilton, president; E.B. McKown, vice president; Miss Ella Taylor, secretary, and Miss Ada Cook, treasurer.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- W.J. Knauer was elected to head Arsenal Lodge 274, Brotherhood of Railroad Carmen.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- A major broadcasting company beamed the blow-by-blow description of the Jack Sharkey-Max Schmeling heavyweight championship fight to Germany via short wave.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Mrs. Stella Duytschaever, Rock Island, incurred a minor head injury when four cars of an 11-car Rock Island Lines train rolled over her on the westbound tracks at 12th Street in Moline.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- The Illinois UPI Editors Saturday presented the first Len H. Small Memorial Award for Community Service Journalism to Lee Strobel of the Chicago Tribune. Strobel was cited for a series of stories on the controversy surrounding the Ford Pinto.
Back: Available days in June 2005