Day in history for June 28, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The privileges of the ``better half'' were illustrated in the county court in Perry County, Iowa, when there were 22 applicants for divorce in one day. Seventeen were accepted.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The river was very high and flood conditions prevailed in Rock Island. The sum of $1,023 was collected as a relief fund. Many families were homeless and in great need.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The city council inspected the newly erected bridge over the Rock River. It was decided to allow the bridge company $15,000 on the work.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- An indictment charging Frank Foster, Chicago gunman under arrest in Los Angeles, with the murder of Alfred ``Jake'' Lingle, Chicago newspaperman, was returned by the grand jury.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- The city of Rock Island is ready to meet a price of $56,000 for an off-street parking site on the northeast corner of 2nd Avenue and 19th Street.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Geifman Food Stores of Davenport signed a contract Friday to purchase the former site of Downing's Dairy in Rock Island. The site, located at 24th Street and 23rd Avenue, has been the subject of a zoning controversy since last October.
Back: Available days in June 2005