Day in history for June 27, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- A $500 reward was offered to anyone who could supply information leading to the apprehension of the person sending threatening letters to a Rock Island wholesale and retail dealer. The man was being threatened for selling goods 25 percent lower than any other store in the city.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Joseph Perry, Rock Island, a British subject, was naturalized in district court with Judge Joseph Adams presiding.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Miss Mabel Strayer and Fred H. Druckmiller were married at the parsonage of the Memorial Christian Church. Rev. O.W. Lawrence officiated.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Frank Foster, wanted for questioning in connection with the Chicago killing of newspaper report Jake Lingle, was under arrest in Los Angeles.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Larry David, 16, of 801 32nd Ave., Rock Island, caught a 15-pound perch Saturday morning on a trot line baited with crawfish in the Mississippi River.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- After four months of waiting, the Rock Island Board of Education has finally been approached by a party with strong interest in buying Lincoln Elementary School, which has been closed to cut costs and because of declining enrollments.
Back: Available days in June 2005