Day in history for June 25, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- At the Brighton Trotting Course in Chicago, Henry Graves bay horse, ''Jake Taylor,'' took the race of the day and won a purse of $300.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The home of C.W. Ritter was entered by burglars who secured an old-fashioned gold watch and other valuables. The watch was a dying gift from Mr. Ritter's father.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Sister Mary de Sales of the Sisters of the Visitation died at the Villa de Chantal. She was over 80 years of age and had been bedfast for two months.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The Brooklyn Dodgers were in first place in the National League and the Philadelphia Athletics led the American League.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Two unidentified Moline fishermen caught a bicycle instead of fish yesterday afternoon in the Mississippi River. The ownership of the bike was traced to Randy Munn, 1209 1/2 13th St., Moline, who reported it missing from the yard of his home on Aug. 6, 1954.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Police and fire officials from departments in Rock Island County took the first step this morning toward forming a join arson inventigation squad, much like the Metropolitan Enforcement Group which investigates drug trafficking.
Back: Available days in June 2005