Day in history for June 22, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Coal, difficult to obtain in Rock Island for quite some time, was plentiful after several boatloads arrived here from St. Louis.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The regatta opened at Moline with hundreds of people attending from Rock Island. The official umpire for the races was H.O. Downs of Chicago.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- John Edward Cortism was the victim of a runaway accident and died shortly after in St. Anthony's Hospital. He was thrown from a buggy.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Plans were being made to install a lighting system at Douglas Park for the purpose of night baseball. The contract called for $9,500.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Younker Brothers, Inc., prominent midwest department store operators, will open a major department store in Rock Island about next April 1 at 2nd Ave. and W. 17th St. A long-term lease on the 5-story building was signed today at Younkers' central office in Des Moines.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Nancy Wruck's perfect 300-game Sunday on the final day of the Dispatch Handicap Singles Bowling Tournament at Highland Park Bowl was the first perfect game ever by a woman in an Illinois house in the Quad-Cities and the first by a woman anywhere in the Quad-Cities in almost 50 years.
Back: Available days in June 2005