Day in history for June 20, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Under the new management of J.E. Downey, the Rock Island House Hotel underwent a complete redecoration. The owners were making plans to construct a 40 room addition to the building.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island was the scene of a big Turner celebration. The Turners from many other communities were also in attendance.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- William Jackson was elected president of the Rock Island board of park commissioners. E.B. McKown was named secretary and Otto Huber, treasurer.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Bobby Jones led the field by a stroke and five other Americans were in the first nine at the close of the second round of the British Open Golf Championship.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- An airplane flying 4,000 feet above Silvis will be the scene Sunday morning of a marriage ceremony uniting a young Quad-City couple. Miss Glenda Kay Jordan, 16, Silvis, will become the bride of Armon O. Baney, 22, East Moline.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Expansion of the Oak Valley Eagle Refuge near Hampton is one of the 22 natural lands purchase the Illinois Department of Conservation has proposed for 1980-1981.
Back: Available days in June 2005