Day in history for June 2, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The Postmaster General established a new post office at Colona Station in Henry County.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The big topic of conversation was the discussion of the Republican National Convention being held in Chicago.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The Modern Woodmen of America and Royal Neighbors had memorial ceremonies for the departed at Chippiannock Cemetery. George McCaskrin was the principal speaker.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Thirteen insane criminals, five of them slayers, escaped from the State Hospital for the Criminally Insane in Michigan after arming themselves with knives and imprisoning two guards.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Net sales and income for Deere And Co. for the 6-month period ending April 30 showed appreciable increases over the same period a year ago, according to a report to stockholders today by William A. Hewitt, president.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Two East Moline men will serve as editors on The Marquette Tribune, the student newspaper of Marquette University in Milwaukee, next fall. Rich Core will be news editor. Peter J. Tvarkunas will serve as assistant photo editor.
Back: Available days in June 2005