Day in history for June 19, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- We learn that the house of Dr. Rathbun was entered by some burglar last night and the doctor's pants containing about $60 in money and a fine gold watch taken.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Just to be up with the times, the owners of the Harper House Music Store had a telephone installed.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- It is given out officially that ''Silvis'' is to be the name of the new town which is being erected by the Rock Island Improvement Co. southeast of Warner's Crossing.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Duplicate tax bills, to be used as evidence in the suit of County Treasurer Carl W. Peterson against the Farmers State Bank of Hooppole and the Farmers State Bank of Annawan, have mysteriously disappeared from a large vault in the Cambridge courthouse.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Jack Fleck, previously unheralded young pro from Davenport, won the U.S. Open Golf Championship after beating Ben Hogan by three strokes in an 18-hole playoff in San Francisco.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A newly-approved rate increase for Illinois customers of Iowa-Illinois Gas And Electric Co. will boost the average residential natural gas bill about 90 cents a month, generating $1.4 million in new revenue for the utility.
Back: Available days in June 2005