Day in history for June 12, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Cutter has made a very fine commencement on his lot on Illinois Street, having erected two handsome iron front stores.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The advance guard of the circus came into town last night. People cannot be too careful leaving houses properly protected and should not carry money or valuables going into a crowd.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Arrangements have been made by the Union Malleable Works at East Moline for the closing down of the works for a short time this summer.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The streets in front of The Argus office are expected to be crowded with enthusiastic fight fans tonight to listen to the blow-by-blow description of the Sharkey-Schmeling championship bout in New York.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- When Donald W. Ferns returned from Navy duty, it marked the end of a cycle of service for five brothers who have worn uniforms a total of 14 years since 1941. They are sons of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Ferns, Rock Island.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- The intersection of Illinois 84 and Illinois 92 at the East Moline-Silvis border has the unflattering distinction of being the Quad-Cities' top traffic accident hot spot.
Back: Available days in June 2005