Day in history for May 8, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Gen. Tuxberry, of the Island City Hotel, returned from Wisconsin Saturday evening, where he had been with his family.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Moline Boat Club are out practicing for the approaching regatta. The people of Moline are getting ready for the event by erecting buildings near Sylvan Island.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The Senate passed the House bill making the appropriations of the Watertown Hospital for the insane at Watertown $157,500 for each year.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Herman Sieghartner and Fred Boetje have entered a partnership and will open a grocery store at 930 3rd Ave., Rock Island, the latter part of this week.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Plans for an open house on Sunday, May 15, at the Moline generating station of the Iowa-Illinois Gas and Electric Co., located at the foot of 4th Street, were announced today.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- East Moline city planners say the Watertown area will get the bulk of a $511,000 federal grant aimed at improving declining neighborhoods. The grant is the first installment of a three-year, $1,527,000 Community Development Block Grant approved last September by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Back: Available days in May 2005