Day in history for May 31, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The streets of Rock Island were strewn with fragments of paper, triangular in shape, marked with red crosses, calling for a Hindu Thug meeting in reference to the coming election.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Rodman Rifles had a match with the Davenport Guards, the former winning by a score of 230-188.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Hagenbeck's Wild Beast Circus began a two week engagement in Rock Island.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Having again received the homage of multitudes of air-minded Americans, the famous German dirigible Graf Zeppelin was being prepared for its seventh trans-Atlantic crossing.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island police are seeking the culprits who exploded a large firecracker on the front porch of the George F. Crompton residence, 41 Hawthorne Rd., for the second time in 10 days about 11 p.m. Sunday.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Most students wouldn't mourn the retirement of their school cook, but hugs mixed with pleas of ''Can't you stay just one more year?'' were showered on Berniece Armstrong, head cook at Aldrin Junior High, during a surprise assembly held in her honor this week.
Back: Available days in May 2005