Day in history for May 29, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The Arcade Saloon, just below the Rock Island House, on Eagle Street, will be opened for the reception of the public tonight.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The special advertising car of P.T. Barnum's great circus came in on the Western Union road today and is a marvel of beauty. The car is 15 days in advance of the show.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- J.M. Young, of Chicago, a salesman of oil paintings, is registered at the Harper. His collection is valued at over $30,000.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- More than a hundred Belgian-American residents of Rock Island, Milan, Moline and East Moline set out on a 4,000-mile journey to Belgium. The 100th anniversary of Belgian independence is being celebrated.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Improvement of Browning Field facilities, with emphasis on improved lighting, will be discussed by the Moline Board of Education at a special meeting in Allendale Tuesday night.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- An extensive system of carpools for the area's major employers is the first step suggested by Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Commission to meet federal guidelines on carbon monoxide emissions.
Back: Available days in May 2005