Day in history for May 25, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Rock Island city officials approved a contract for building a new city jail.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The annual Rock Island Fire Department equipment display was considered one of the best in years.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The Argus contained a historical account of the Horace Mann School.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Miss Peggy Montgomery, motion picture actress, arrived from Hollywood to visit her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Montgomery, 3309 14th Ave., Rock Island. She was expected to stay here for about three months.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A 32-pound fish was caught on a trout line in the Mississippi River this morning by Chet Brenstron, 529 23rd St., Rock Island. The big buffalo nearly fills a washtub.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Raising strawberries is a project that has grown larger each year for the Dean Yoder family of RR 5, Geneseo. When the Yoders put 12,000 strawberry plants in two acres in 1978, they had no idea they would be putting in an additional 16,000 plants last year and 10,000 more this year. With the additional plants this year, the Yoder family has six acres of strawberries to weed.
Back: Available days in May 2005