Day in history for May 2, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Throngs of people were visiting Rock Island via the ferry which had been established on the other side of the river, with regular runs to Rock Island and Fort Armstrong.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island citizens were making plans to hold a good ''old fashioned'' Fourth of July.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- L.L. McDonald began his duties here as secretary of the YMCA.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The Associated Press reported that the value of farm land in Illinois had struck bottom, with an upward trend expected shortly.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island firemen, including the aerial ladder truck, sped to Longfellow School, 7th Avenue and 42nd Street, Rock Island, on report of a school fire at 7:25 this morning. The firemen found a fire, but in the school's trash burner. A passing motorist saw the trash flames and thought the school was on fire.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A total of 153 Augustana College freshmen were initiated into Aristeia Honor Society at recent ceremonies on the campus. The first-year students qualified for membership by earning a grade-point average of 3.50 or higher during the fall or winter quarter.
Back: Available days in May 2005