Day in history for May 19, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The St. Louis Intelligencer, in a news story, commented that Davenport had one of the most beautiful ferry boats ever built.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Arrangements for the celebration of the Fourth of July were made by a group of citizens meeting at the Armory Hall.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The new $16,000 roller coaster for use at the Watch Tower was completed. Six cars were in operation.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- A light rain and overcast skies greeted the thousands of visitors who poured into Churchill Downs where 14 colts and 1 filly were ready for the 56th running of the Kentucky Derby.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A 17-year-old Alleman High School student was being treated at St. Anthony's Hospital today for an injured eye. Hospital attendants said Dick Uhlmeyer, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Uhlmeyer, Rock Island, got acid in his right eye while working in the Alleman science laboratory.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Two roommates left their East Moline home at 1537 9th Ave. for only an hour early Saturday, but that was long enough for burglars to steal their belongings valued at $2,470.
Back: Available days in May 2005