Day in history for May 16, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Gen. Wm. O. Butler declined the Democratic nomination for Congress in the 10th Kentucky district.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Rev. W.R. Moore, Girard, Pa., preached at the Central Presbyterian Church.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Augustana freshmen and seniors staged a lively color rush on the campus. Two students were injured and received surgical attention. The campus colors were still up after the scrimmage.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The American Walker Cup team is out in front of its British rivals to win three of the four foursomes, the first phase of the international golf tournament.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A safe containing $300 to $400 in cash and government bonds, stolen last night from the Berglund Cleaners Co., W. 7th St., Aledo, was recovered shortly after 6 this morning near the Pope Creek bridge, seven miles southeast of Aledo.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- The jokes were about script and emergency loans in some Rock Island County offices this morning as county workers faced the possibility of a payless payday because of a computer malfunction.
Back: Available days in May 2005