Day in history for May 12, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island city council will soon change its place of meeting to Bailey And Boyle's block. A very good room is now being fitted up for that purpose.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island Athletics organized a four-oared shell team. Members were T.J. Rodman, Keeley Guyer, Robert Chamberlain and Mr. Mixter.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. Sylvester W. McMaster, Rock Island, observed their 64th wedding anniversary.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Al Capone slept on a jail cot in Miami, Fla., a prisoner for the second time since Miami authorities determined to cut short his stay there by arresting him on sight. Capone was attending a boxing match when police made the arrest.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Spreading rails were blamed today for a wreck on the Rock Island Lines tracks at 2nd Ave. W. in Milan. Two cars of a south bound 6-car switch train loaded with gravel and consigned to Milan were derailed.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Garfield School, Moline, has a new ''R2D2 Trash Trolley.'' The ''Star Wars'' trash can, built by Charles Titus, an industrial arts teacher at Moline High School, and painted by Mary Kinder of the Garfield PTA, was a project of the PTA environmental action committee.
Back: Available days in May 2005