Day in history for May 11, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The steamer R.H. Lee was sunk following a collision with the steamer Ocean Wave a short distance below the mouth of the Illinois River.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Fire in McQuaid's Saloon, Rock Island, caused heavy damage.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- It was announced that the Diamond Jo steamer ''Dubuque'' would extend its runs to Rock Island. The new schedule called for the boat to travel between Rock Island and St. Louis.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Chris Cagle, one of the country's most publicized collegiate football players, resigned from the United States Military Academy at West Point after presenting a certificate saying that he was married.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Two Rock Island men, Arvid Johnson and Henry Brandt, saved Edwin White from drowning in his rapidly submerging auto in the Mississippi River.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Ralph Van De Casteele brought back more than just a tan from his recent Hawaiian vacation. The veteran East Moline alderman carried with him a radical plan he thinks can save the police department thousands of dollars. Van De Casteele wants the city's 31 policemen to use their own cars on patrol.
Back: Available days in May 2005