Day in history for May 1, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The great ice wagon of Messrs. Brigham And Co. has commenced its regular trips about town. The huge thing seems to cool the atmosphere as it moves along our streets.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The bright cheerful morning of today, though cold, was a decided improvement on what we have had of late. This was the general opinion.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Andover has been operating under village incorporation, but many of the people there have come to the conclusion that they would prefer to do away with their village organization since there is really no town there, at the present time.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. Charles McHugh reached New York yesterday on the White Star steamer Celtic from their tour abroad. They will be home next Thursday.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Sabre jet interceptor fighters ''shot down'' an invading B-47 bomber over Moline at 11 a.m. yesterday during a Midwest practice alert for the Ground Observance Corps.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Interest rates on home mortgages in the Quad-Cities are following a national trend downward from record highs of near 18 percent to about 15 percent.
Back: Available days in May 2005