Day in history for April 9, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The Philadelphia Ledger makes the startling statement that the entire debt of the nation, including debts of states and federal governments, is 275 million dollars.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Henry Carse, Republican, was elected mayor in Rock Island, defeating J.C. Cameron, a Fusion candidate. M.M. Corbett, Democrat, was elected city attorney over J.I. Parks, Republican.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Andrew Olson, Democrat, was elected mayor in Moline, beating Dr. P.H. Wessel, Republican.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- America's first television program was broadcast in a special theater in Jersey City, N.J.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Marine Capt. Guy O. Badger, Davenport, today was credited with saving the aircraft and possibly the life of an Air Force captain at Kaneohe Bay, Marine Air Station, Hawaii. When the jet plane of an Air Force captain made a forced landing at the station, and caught fire, Capt. Badger taxied in front with his own ''Banshee'' jet plane and used his jet blast to blow out the fire.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- The village of Alpha had its second major fire since August when most of the R and H Johnson Lumber Co. was destroyed in a blaze early this morning. Loss is estimated at least $150,000. Cause of the fire is unknown.
Back: Available days in April 2005