Day in history for April 28, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- We understand that the proprietors of the plank road to Camden have repaired the old bridge across Rock River so that it is passable, though perhaps not perfectly safe.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Wide Awake Hook, Hose and Ladder Club had uniform shirts made by a 2nd Avenue tailor.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The Argus published an historical account of the Lincoln School building.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Four new aldermen assumed their places in the Rock Island city council following ajournment of the old council and with the holdover aldermen immediately entered upon the tasks of the new fiscal year.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Thieves stole about 600 pounds of junk from the rear of Shattuck Co., 2312 5th Ave., Moline, on Sunday, according to a report filed with Moline police yesterday afternoon. The same gang was believed responsible for the theft of two tons of scrap metal from Mutual Wheel Co., 23rd St. and 4th Ave., Moline, about the same time.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Suzanne R. Golden, 2728 34th St., Rock Island, was chosen for one of the alternate at-large delegate slots at the Democratic State Convention Thursday. Golden, wife of Rock Island County Treasurer Seymour Golden, is pledged to President Jimmy Carter.
Back: Available days in April 2005