Day in history for April 16, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Eli C. Smith, principal of the Rock Island Seminary (private high school), has accepted an agreeable situation in the new seminary at Dixon. He wil be succeeded here by Darwin S. Smith, Zanesville, Ohio.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Wide Awake Hose, Hook and Ladder volunteer firemen's company gave a ball which was largely attended last night in Turner Hall.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island Liquor Dealers Protective Association met today to discuss doing away with free lunches, which are under criticism by temperance and prohibition advocates.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Federal prohibition officers arrested 29 people as the agents raided 12 places in Moline, six in East Moline, and two in Rock Island.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A 3-story brick building, costing $500,000, which will provide quarters for 100 girl students and a girls' dining room and lounge for the entire college will be erected on the old Davis estate by Augustana College.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Marysue Salmon, Moline, who teaches French cooking in her own school, ''Cuisine,'' recently was offered a place in a group of 10 women who were to spend a week studying with Simone Beck, world-renowned French cook, author and teacher, at her estate in Nice.
Back: Available days in April 2005