Day in history for April 11, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The courtroom at Cambridge was crowded as people of Rock Island, Henry, Stark and Peoria counties met to discuss building a railroad from Rock Island to Peoria. Henry County delegates said their county would buy $100,000 worth of bonds.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- John McCullough, famous actor, will make an appearance on the stage of Harper's Theater, Rock Island, on April 15.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- George Henry is noting an even 50 years of residence in Rock Island. He came from New York City and was in business at Carbon Cliff before moving to Rock Island in 1855.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- All April 11 heat records were broken today as the thermometer reached 91. Five weeks of drought are blamed for a fire which destroyed 1,000 acres of timberland near Keithsburg.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Davenport Police Magistrate Edmund Carroll today dismissed a charge of larceny against an 80-year-old woman who admitted taking a quantity of wood from a neighbor to build a fire to keep warm.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- The U.S. Department of the Interior has approved a state request to give $50,920 to East Moline to help buy 8.5 acres for the proposed Water Front Park and boat launch. The park is to be built along Illinois 84 in the north part of the city.
Back: Available days in April 2005