Day in history for April 1, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island city council has asked for bids from carpenters on putting up a high board fence around Church (Spencer) Square.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- There is strong competition between the steamboats Viola and Cora Emily in carrying passengers and freight to Andalusia, Buffalo and Linwood.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- New Shops (Silvis) will turn out 27 locomotives this month. The prior record was 23 at this new maintenance and manufacturing point for the Rock Island railroad.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Ruth Hanna McCormick, Republican nominee for U.S. senator from Illinois, is in Rock Island today for three campaign talks.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- The 7-1/2-acre tract between 34th and 36th streets, south of 22nd Avenue, Rock Island, once considered as a suitable spot for a new swimming pool, has been cleared of tons of bushes, trees and stumps by park workmen. Numerous fine trees still remain to give the area a setting for some possible future development in the park system.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Some Silvis residents are at a loss to explain a bright, blinking white light that apparently hovered between Illini Tower and Illini Hospital before drifting out of sight Monday night. A woman who saw the UFO said the light was about ''10 times larger than a star.''
Back: Available days in April 2005