Day in history for March 9, 2005

1855 -- 150 years ago
We congratulate our people upon what is believed to be a final adjustment of the ownership of Public Square (Spencer Square). The deeds are made, for henceforth and forever, we hope. The square has been a bone of contention since organization of the city, but the issue is now happily settled. (Note: As it turned out the issue was not settled for another hundred years by court decision in December, 1954.)

1880 -- 125 years ago
Major J.M. Beardsley today received his commission as postmaster of Rock Island.

1905 -- 100 years ago
S.J. Marshall was nominated by the Socialist party for mayor of Rock Island.

1930 -- 75 years ago
William Howard Taft, chief justice of the supreme court and former U.S. president, died.

1955 -- 50 years ago
Purchase of the operating lease of the Fort Armstrong Hotel by the Alsonett Hotel chain at a figure in excess of $150,000 was announced today. The operating lease was acquired from the Hoffman Hotel Company, South Bend, Ind., which has operated the hotel since its opening in 1926.

1980 -- 25 years ago
Joe Copeland, East Moline, ended the 1979 rodeo season ranked 18th nationally in the bareback riding event. The 22-year-old Copeland rode his first horse in rodeo competition in Aledo.

Back: Available days in March 2005

Local events heading

  (More History)