Day in history for March 29, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The most startling news arrived on the steamship Africa. The emperor of Russia is dead. He expired March 2.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island city Democratic convention nominated S.B. Stoddard, Jr., for mayor. B.D. Buford was chairman of the convention.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Fresh from two weeks training with the Pittsburgh Nationals at Hot Springs, Jack McConnell arrived today to take over as manager of the Rock Island professional baseball team.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. Joseph S. Kelly, rector of St. Mary's Catholic Church, Moline, for 32 years, died.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A thief who got there ahead of the cleaners stole a bundle of clothing and drapes from the porch of the Harold Holst residence, 717 3rd St. A, Moline, this morning, Mrs. Holst reported to police. Loss was estimated at $92.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A marshy field and creek have been polluted with perhaps thousands of gallons of diesel fuel that apparently spilled from a storage tank on the grounds of the East Moline Correctional Center. Federal, state and city officials Friday began cleanup efforts to remove the oil that may have been draining into Honey Creek, and eventually, the Mississippi River, for weeks.
Back: Available days in March 2005