Day in history for March 13, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- There is no improvement in the post office and the people are enraged past further endurance.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Professor Proctor, the great astronomer and lecturer from England, was at the Harper House today. It is to be regretted that this gentleman could not have been secured for a lecture in Rock Island.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Theophil Anthonius, Belgian saloonkeeper, whose place of business is at 7th Street and 17th Avenue, Moline, disappeared from home Saturday, Feb. 25, two weeks ago, and his wife has invoked the aid of the police in her quest of him. She fears he has met with foul play.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Harold T. Jaeke will be valedictorian of the 1930 graduating class at Augustana College.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Members of South Park Presbyterian Church, Rock Island, laid the cornerstone for their new Christian education building Sunday.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Brian Raasch of East Moline recently asked The Curious Cook's readers for a recipe for Earthworm Cake. He wanted to bake the cake for a science project, he said, also focusing on protein and other nutritional values in insects. Sure enough. The Curious Cook's readers provided a couple of recipes for Brian to consider.
Back: Available days in March 2005