Day in history for February 3, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Capt. John E. Brackett was found dead in his room at the Island City Hotel this morning when the porter entered to replenish the fire. We saw Capt. Brackett just last evening in the reading room of the hotel, looking well. He was a bachelor and he leaves a handsome property.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Daily attendance at Rock Island Public Library averages 174. Sunday afternoon attendance averages 32.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island will have an Elks Lodge by June 1, it is predicted. A meeting will be held tomorrow evening at the Illinois Smoker to discuss organizing. Sixty Rock Island men are now members of the Moline Elks Club.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Charles W. Miller, a grocer at 544 21st St., Rock Island, was wounded by a holdup man.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- James Morgan, 35, who lives at 848 15th St., Moline, suffered chest and internal injuries when a portion of the earth walls gave way in a new elevator shaft at the Petersen Harned Von Maur store, Davenport. He is an employee of the Priester Construction Co.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A bill has been introduced in the House calling for federal loan guarantees to allow Rock Island Lines trustees to keep the line afloat through Aug. 31.
Back: Available days in February 2005