Day in history for February 26, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- The bill to authorize another ferry at this point lost in the lower house of the Illinois legislature by one vote. The bill had passed the senate earlier.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- ''Two Orphans'' is the play at Harper's Theater.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. C.C. Craig has consented to be the Republican Party candidate for mayor.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- George C. Perrin, counsel of Modern Woodmen of America, was elected president of the National Fraternal Lawyers Association.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Orville Bryan of Rock Island successfully defended his Quad-City match championship title in checkers for the second time in two weeks Saturday in the clubrooms in Davenport, this time against his second challenger, Derwood Fogle of Colona. Bryan won 12 to 8.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- More than 300 engineers, clerical and hourly workers have moved into a new product engineering center for Deere And Co. in Silvis. The 180,000-square-foot building, west of Illinois 5 and 92, is a research and development center for Deere combines. Advanced test laboratories, shop space for building new models and a test track for proving design quality and durability are part of the building design. The center will be operated as part of the John Deere Harvester Works, East Moline.
Back: Available days in February 2005