Day in history for February 25, 2005

1855 -- 150 years ago
Secretary of War Jefferson Davis objected to the sale of the island of Rock Island and therefore Senator Shields has amended his bill in connection with the granting of right-of-way across the island to the Chicago And Rock Island railroad.

1880 -- 125 years ago
Rolla J. Wood, while walking home with his wife last night, was pounded in the most brutal manner by four men. They broke his nose.

1905 -- 100 years ago
Jesse Maxwell, who established a shoe factory here in 1844, died at 86 in Port Byron, where for many years he was proprietor of the Maxwell House. From 1847 to 1856 he and his family lived in a log cabin on his farm in Zuma Township.

1930 -- 75 years ago
Earl C. Dean, Frank L. Curnyn and Frank McMeekin won primary election contests for aldermanic nominations.

1955 -- 50 years ago
A firm that has made an estimated 1 million keys during its 82 years of existence occupies a small shop in Rock Island. It is known as Charles Fiebig's Sons and is located at 1619 3rd Ave.

1980 -- 25 years ago
Blinding snow whipped across parts of Iowa, southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois today, blocking rural highways with mounting drifts and reducing rush hour travel to a crawl in cities and towns. Quad-Citians struggled through nearly 5 inches of snow.

Back: Available days in February 2005



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)