Day in history for February 24, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Tennessee is bidding for all the ice now being harvested in Rock Island by Brigham And Co. The company could ship its entire supply next summer to many places, but the firm promises that it prefers to supply the homes, businesses and steamboats of this region.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island Lumber Company decided last night to build a sash and door factory in this city.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The famous actor Otis Skinner appeared in the play ''The Harvester'' at the Illinois Theater last night.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Mabel Normand, beautiful clown of comedy movies, died.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- One of the most severe flash floods in the history of the lower Rock River Valley last night surrounded houses on North Shore Drive about one-and-a-half miles above the Moline bridge and resulted in the evacuation of five persons. The river, which began its rapid rise about 6 p.m., began to drop again just before 11 p.m. when the huge ice gorge at the bridge gave way.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Moline and Rock Island police are still receiving reports of shattered car windows following a vandalism spree that left more than 100 vehicles damaged in the two cities Friday night and early Saturday morning.
Back: Available days in February 2005