Day in history for February 20, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Tomorrow evening is to be the great gathering of charitable people at the Island City Hotel. Every dollar taken for tickets will be handed over to a committee of ladies whose duty it will be to relieve the wants of the needy.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- S.J. Collins has today commenced work fitting up the store on the corner of 17th Street and 3rd Avenue, Rock Island, as a liquor store.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The saloons of Geneseo closed Saturday afternoon on hearing the ruling of Judge Gest that they were not operating legally.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- Helen Hazard of Rock Island has been appointed superintendent of the new Illinois reformatory for women.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A fortunate discovery and fast leg work on the part of the Rev. Arthur T. Clark prevented what might have been a disastrous blaze Sunday evening at South Park Presbyterian Church, 1501 30th St., Rock Island.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- A former Davenport basketball star and a pilot were seriously injured early today when their airplane crashed in the front yard of a Rock Island home. Tony McAndrews, 37, an assistant basketball coach at the University of Iowa and candidate for head coach at Iowa State University, was listed in serious but stable condition at Franciscan Hospital.
Back: Available days in February 2005