Day in history for February 19, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Alderman Benjamin D. Walsh, the investigator of alleged errors in the city treasurer's account, hasn't discovered anything yet except a possible missing $10.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Justice Hayden has issued warrants for 10 men involved in fighting at the Rapids City coal mines where there is a strike.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Sam R. VanSant, former governor of Minnesota, delivered an oration on George Washington at the Rock Island Club. VanSant, as a boy, lived in Rock Island. Later he was a steamboat builder at LeClaire, Iowa.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The frozen bodies of two brothers, age 38 and 55, were found in a Davenport attic. They had died of quick pneumonia, the coroner said.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- A baby boy was born to Mrs. C.C. Crisp, 26, of 348 2nd St., Moline, at 10:37 a.m. just as the fire department ambulance was completing its emergency run and was backing into the entrance port at Moline Public Hospital.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- There will be a very special birthday party Friday at the Rock Island County Health Care Center. The guest of honor is Nicholas Fidler, who turned 105 years old Monday. Fidler is the oldest resident at the home, and the kitchen staff is baking a special cake for the occasion.
Back: Available days in February 2005