Day in history for February 16, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- This morning we found two large loads of excellent coal laid down at The Argus door. Upon inquiry, we learn the coal is a gift from Holmes Hakes, who owns a splendid coal field on the west side of Rock Island.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- Wolf hunters will meet at Wells School and form a ring, extending along the river and up the coal banks, and then close in on the wolves Saturday.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Dean Thomas Mackin of St. Joseph's Catholic Church died today. In Rock Island 28 years, he had promoted the building of the St. Anthony's Hospital and the Villa de Chantal School.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The Chief of Army Engineers recommended the dredging and damming of the upper Mississippi River to provide a permanent 9-foot channel. The report recommends a dam between Rock Island and Davenport.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Milan's 100,000 gallon water sphere, perched on its streamlined tower like a golf ball on a tee, is in the final stage of construction. The 85-foot, $34,140 structure is on the bluff south of the village.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island Arsenal officials are asking the Pentagon for $25 million to expand their Sylvan Slough hydroelectric power plant, a move they say could make the island nearly self-sufficient and save money.
Back: Available days in February 2005