Day in history for February 14, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- Today is Valentine's Day, once a great day with us. We suppose the younger generation has similar feelings so that all girls will get squeezed today.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- At Harper's Theater Maggie Mitchell is playing the leading role in ''Lorie, or the Artist's Dream.''
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. Chester Birch of St. Louis is holding well-attended revival meetings in Milan.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The board of education will grant use of the Rock Island public schools stadium to the community for a July 4th celebration and for observance of the 150th anniversary of a Revolutionary War battle fought here.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island businessmen were urged to make use of police convoys in an attempt to curb a recent wave of burglaries and holdups. Police Chief Claus C. Miller encouraged businessmen to seek police convoys when they withdraw or deposit large sums of money at banks.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- As other airlines cut back commuter service between the Quad-Cities and Chicago, Mississippi Valley Airlines is increasing the number of passengers it can shuttle per trip. The airlines announced the purchase of a 50-passenger Fokker F27 aircraft which will begin carrying Chicago commuters in September. A second plane will join the fleet next January.
Back: Available days in February 2005