Day in history for February 12, 2005
- 1855 -- 150 years ago
- 150 years ago: The U.S. Senate has voted to make Rock Island a port of delivery. If the bill is passed by both houses, a customs official will be stationed here to collect taxes on goods imported from Europe and delivered here by steamboats.
- 1880 -- 125 years ago
- The veteran doctors of Rock Island, Plummer, Truesdale, Craig, Galt, Bernhardi, Eyster, Carter, Cowden, Barth and McKee, surprised Dr. Patrick P. Gregg on his 70th birthday anniversary. Dr. Gregg has practiced in Rock Island since 1836.
- 1905 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island merchants will oppose allowing the Davenport and Suburban Railway Company to cross the bridges until it has built its proposed interurban line leading into Rock Island.
- 1930 -- 75 years ago
- The fourth annual Rock Island Auto Show opened in the Boone building, former textile mill, 5th Avenue and 13th Street.
- 1955 -- 50 years ago
- Dr. Eduardo A. Ricaurte and Dr. Vincente Rodriguez, both of Quito, Ecuador, are taking their internship at Moline Public Hospital. Both young men hope to remain in the United States when they complete their education.
- 1980 -- 25 years ago
- Resistance by physicians to the health maintenance organization being formed in the Quad-Cities still appears strong, but organizers say the concerns they've expressed are easing.
Back: Available days in February 2005